Meet your light travel guide...
Hi, I'm Katherine, the 5 kilo traveller
I was approaching 50 in 2017, when I ventured on a solo trip for four weeks in Croatia and Italy.
This picture is me with all my belongings - just over 5 kilos (11 pounds) in my day-bag about to depart Charlotte, North Carolina, bound for Dubrovnik in Croatia, while my family flew back to New Zealand.
I was all set to head off on my intrepid adventure. At this point I was so nervous!
What was I doing leaving my family behind?
Would I survive?
Did I have enough gear?
Had I gone completely mad??!!
BUT... the freedom I experienced was unbelievable. Escaping the normal routines of parenting and nursing life I relished every opportunity that came my way. It is so hard to express the joy I felt.
I met amazing locals and travellers of all ages and stages. I became a surrogate Mum to the young female travellers. I avidly listened to their stories and their zest for life. I think I inspired them to keep travelling.
Since then I've done more solo and light travels, and I just want to share the ideas with others.
I hope you enjoy my journeys and I inspire you to have some of your own!.
Some interesting facts about me...
- I travelled with a 15 - 20 kilo pack in my 20's.
- I've travelled light in Europe, America, China, Australia and New Zealand.
- I love nature and hiking to see it.
- I've been a nurse for over 30 years - and nursing makes you appreciate life E V E R Y D A Y!!!
- I grew up on a sheep farm in New Zealand roaming the Ruahine Ranges of the Manawatu. This is quite possibly where I get my merino wool bias from!