Meet your solo, light, carry on bag, midlife travel guide...
Hi, I'm Katherine, The 5 Kilo Traveller.
I was approaching 50 in 2017, when I ventured on a solo trip for four weeks in Croatia and Italy.
This picture is me with all my belongings - just over 5 kilos (11 pounds) in my carry on day bag about to depart Charlotte, North Carolina, bound for Dubrovnik in Croatia, while my family flew back to New Zealand.
I was all set to head off on my very first midlife travel adventure. At this point I was so nervous!
- What was I doing leaving my family behind?
- Would I survive?
- Did I have enough gear?
- Had I gone completely mad??!!
The freedom I experienced travelling with my carry on bag was unbelievable.
Escaping the normal routines of parenting and nursing life I relished every opportunity that came my way. It is so hard to express the joy I felt.
I met amazing locals and travellers of all ages and stages. I became a surrogate Mum to the young female travellers. I avidly listened to their stories and their zest for life. I think I inspired them to keep travelling.
Some interesting facts about me...
- I travelled with a 15 - 20 kilo pack in my 20's.
- I've travelled light in Europe, America, China, Australia and New Zealand.
- I love nature and hiking to see it.
- I've been a nurse for over 30 years - and nursing makes you appreciate life E V E R Y D A Y!!!
- I grew up on a sheep farm in New Zealand roaming the Ruahine Ranges of the Manawatu. This is quite possibly where I get my merino wool bias from!
I hope you enjoy my midlife travel journeys with my small carry on bag and I inspire you to have some of your own!